Thursday, May 15, 2008

and the Devil was a no show


It never fails. Every two weeks I head out on the road with everything I think I should need for a week of shilling bikes and every two weeks, about an hour outside of Houston, as the NPR station fuzzes into oblivion I reach down to pick out a CD when it hits me that I have once again left the house with the same ten CD's that have been in the car since last August. While quality music can be found on the majority of the discs by Wednesday or Thursday I have listened to each 2-3 times on average and at this point the sound of Peter, Bjorn and John makes me want to kill. Now in some places this isn't that big of a deal. You just turn the channel to the local butt rock station, grit your teeth and wait for a Black Sabbath song to come on. However this is Texas and once you’re out of radio distance of the three major cities your choices are limited to whack job preachers spewing their particular brand of intolerance or Tejano. Now I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to experience the audio torture that is Tejano but I certainly would not recommend it to my worst enemies and despite the surreal, almost cinematic experience of barreling across rural Texas listening to a small town preacher screaming away, I would rather jab a sharpened pencil in my ear than listen to either for more than five minutes. So in goes one of the six discs for yet another go and I'm sure in two weeks time, somewhere in rural Louisiana, I will be humming "Young Folks" with a taste for blood in my mouth.
Taking a cue from Mississippi blues man Robert Johnson I made a pit stop down at the crossroads. I planned on selling my soul for some content but the Devil didn’t show. Mythological constructs can be so unreliable.


What is your idea of Hell?


I thought it would have more hills.

Made it back home. Odometer reads 1109 miles more than when I left on Monday.
This is the sad irony of being a bike rep. In order to sell the most efficient mode of transportation known to man you must drive countless miles in the most inefficient.

1 comment:

Zak said...

Jesus - where the hell is your ipod? The new lesbo-mobile has aux in so I've got an extra powered itrip sitting around - you want it?

Tejano = Mexican Polka